Creating a roguelike game with achron-esque time travel

Discussion of Achron mods and standalone games using the Resequence engine.

Creating a roguelike game with achron-esque time travel

Postby eliotn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:31 pm

I am currently working on a roguelike that will utilize time travel (not using the resequence engine currently). It will borrow a lot of the same mechanics as achron in terms of time travel and similar mechanics. However, I don't know if I will finish it. If it is successful, it may give an idea for how people can use time travel mechanics in genres other than meta-time strategy.

If it turns out to be a good idea, it may even use the resequence engine.

I am currently setting up the basics. I got multiple simulations running and the classic click in another spot to create another timeline mechanic working.

Hopefully, this will introduce more people to meta-time gaming!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eliotn

Re: Creating a roguelike game with achron-esque time travel

Postby Kron » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Eliotn, this is fantastic!

Tell me more about how you plan to set up this system. Does each click create a timewave? :3
Time travel in the classic sense has no place in rational theory, but temporal distortion does exist on the quantum level, and more importantly it can be controlled.
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted the Fruit"

Kron

Postby eliotn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Kron wrote:Eliotn, this is fantastic!

Tell me more about how you plan to set up this system. Does each click create a timewave? :3

It follows that each click creates a timewave. Currently, they will spawn the beginning of a test simulation, but once I implement recording moves in the simulation and rewind, it should work similarly to achron. I wonder if I should follow the achron model of deleting timewaves when someone stops observing, or have the timewaves continue. There should be a cost to spawning timewaves if I choose the latter, as otherwise it could break cpu and balance to spawn infinite timewaves.

One of the cool things that I want to implement, if possible, is making someone give you menu selection at the beginning of the game, choosing to become a figher, then going back and killing the person who gave you the menu. I have to give credit for the idea from the race selector idea.

I hope to release something interesting in about 2 1/2 weeks, or produce a good demo trying. Wish me luck!
eliotn

Postby Kron » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Good luck! <3

Is this real-time or turn-based / tick-based? If it's realtime, you may want to just build it on top of the Resequence engine!
Time travel in the classic sense has no place in rational theory, but temporal distortion does exist on the quantum level, and more importantly it can be controlled.

Kron

Postby eliotn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Kron wrote:Good luck! <3

Is this real-time or turn-based / tick-based? If it's realtime, you may want to just build it on top of the Resequence engine!

Currently its realtime, although I am wanting to implement turn-based functionality within the game, so that I can keep the roguelike feel. Currently, I want to be able to release the source code if I feel like it.

And, looking into this, it might be good to use the Resequence engine for such a project, however, I would like to see if I can make a roguelike independent of this. Also, I don't have much experience with 3D, and I don't know if the resequence engine could be used independently of its 3d implementation.

And if you are curious, I am using libtcod (http://doryen.eptalys.net/libtcod/) for this project.

Also, I hope to have the time travel fleshed out in 1.5 weeks, and have an engine ready to build a game on. I have been making progress, and hope to implement spawning timewaves from recorded changes, and timetravelling units.

Also, I am unsure if this is the right index for this thread. Is this exactly offtopic, when it discusses a possible time travel game in the vein of Achron?
eliotn

Postby Kron » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:30 pm

1) Resequence is very much separate from the 3D Achron logic on top of it. The devs have been doing their best to isolate the generic time travel functionality from the wargame they're selling on top of it.

2) I'll ask Shalkka to move this to the "Achron Maps, Mods & Resequence Games" forum, since it seems like the place this thread should exist.

Kron

Postby eliotn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Kron wrote:1) Resequence is very much separate from the 3D Achron logic on top of it. The devs have been doing their best to isolate the generic time travel functionality from the wargame they're selling on top of it.

2) I'll ask Shalkka to move this to the "Achron Maps, Mods & Resequence Games" forum, since it seems like the place this thread should exist.

Wow, thats cool that I can do that with my roguelike. Now I am tempted to make a resequence dwarf fortress like game when I am done trying to prototype ideas for how a roguelike with time travel. However, as I want this prototype to be available to everyone, and I want to try experimenting with this, I am coding my own engine for time travel. I also want to enter this in the 7DRL competition (http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment. ... title=7DRL), with the goal being to make a game in 7 days on top of my time travel engine.

By the way, since I purchased Achron, I can use the resequence engine to make a game that people who have bought Achron could play, right? I would like to know where the documentation is so I can start developing! :D

And I always like receiving online feedback.

Some ideas I am juggling around:

-All menus are done within the game. Meaning you can change the menu choice in the past. Or possibly kill the person who gives you your choices (thus creating a grandfather paradox as you need him to get your obligatory powers and minons).

-Slowly introducing the mechanics. First its a generic roguelike. Then you get future sight. Then you get to see the past. Then you get time travel. etc. You are always an achronal conciousness within a chronal body that slowly awakens his achronal abilities, explaining why you have these powers, and how you can restart after your death is wiped off of the timeline. The fact that you will get time travel is a spoiler, unlike Achron.

-Tutorial challenges or sandbox levels, such as the grandfather paradox level or the chronoclone level (which will receive an include to allow roguelike players to mess around.

-Monsters with procedurally generated patrol routes. Your goal is to exploit this knowledge.
eliotn

Postby Shalkka » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:00 pm

If/when now that you want to try to fit your project with the resequence technology, the thread is better served in that subforum. I feel that the "Achron Maps, Mods & Resequence Games" subforum is about utilising that set of technologies, with time travel as used in other systems not really being a factor in whether one belongs there.

Check out the doc folder and be sure to check the wiki as well as contribute to it as you progress figuring out what/how things can be done with resequence.
Only combined performance counts
Shalkka

Postby trillioneyes » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:47 pm

eliotn wrote:And if you are curious, I am using libtcod (http://doryen.eptalys.net/libtcod/) for this project.

Hehe, awesome! I have been trying to use that too! (Can't currently, because my linux internet is broken and I can't find 64-bit dlls for sdl (or maybe it's opengl; it's been so long I forgot), and the lisp I am currently using can't load 32-bit ones.)

Good luck! Seems like an interesting project you have going on, and Achron-esque time travel creeping into other genres is a good thing in my book.
Kron wrote:Oookay, that's kinda creepy. Now I must resolve cognitive dissonance between "TRAYA! RUN AWAY!" and "Trillioneyes! <3".
trillioneyes

Postby eliotn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:49 pm

Ok guys. Just implemented a timewave click taking you into the past or future. Fun fact, if you click inside of the beach, the game messes up and doesn't implement this feature anymore(the main bug in this game ;) ).

The blue wave is the player's timewave, the wave 3rd to the right is the present timewave. Currently, the simulation is just a T that moves down and right each turn.

Hope to improve the simulation over the weekend ;).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eliotn

Next

Return to Achron Maps, Mods & Resequence Games